Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Planning is Done

I decided to just buckle down and do it. I needed to finish planing the butt section of the bamboo rod I have been working on. So, today I did just that. It took me pretty much all a day to plan all six strips for the butt section. Now before you say, "Good grief, all day!" keep in mind, this is my first rod. Not to mention I had to take the little lady to the grocery store this morning. So it wasn't like I spent the whole day planing, but pretty close. I included some photos below of the butt and tip dry fit together. Now all I need to do is pick out a grip, reel seat, guides, thread, and tip. If anyone has any suggestion feel free to post it in the comments.

Matthew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno. Picking out a grip and reel seat before you've made it through the gluing phase -- that operation that's most likely to result in a rod builder becoming trapped or disabled by oozing sticky stuff -- seems a little dicey...

Matthew said...

Well, what I was thinking about as far as suggestions for the grip and reel seat was colors and contours. The rod is flamed a little heavy, by suggestion of another maker, so I was leaning toward contrasting the dark bamboo with light hardware, chrome or stainless. The colors? Who knows.