Sunday, January 6, 2008

Welcome to Grits-N-Flies

My name is Matthew and I am the author of Grits-N-Flies. I live in the beautiful southeast in the rural farming community of Bland, Va. My family and I moved back to this area after living in the Knoxville, Tn. area for nearly five years.

I have been fly fishing since high school and loving every minute of it. I grew up fishing mostly in warm water for bass, catfish, and sunfish. In high school the pastor of my church introduced me to fly fishing. A few years later I went to a weekend long 4-H hunting and fishing camp. They didn't teach fly fishing at the camp, although, the fishing instructor was also a fly fisher. He demonstrated some long distance casting which highly impressed this 15 year old boy.

It wasn't until after I graduated from high school that I became interested in fly fishing again. My first rod was from a cheap combo set that I bought at Wal-Mart. It nearly frustrated me to death and I almost said forget it. I managed to pick up a better rod after landing a better job in construction. The rod was a Cortland GRF 1000.

That rod and a three pound small mouth bass changed the way I fish for ever. The day I hooked that bass was the day fly fishing hooked me.

Grits-N-Flies is a blog, that I hope, will provide helpful information on fly fishing in general but with special interest on the south. Most of my focus will be in the southwestern Virgina and east Tennessee areas seeing that is my home turf. Although, I will not be able to over look places and fish like spooky browns on Mossy Creek in Virginia, hard hitting smallies on the New River in southern West Virginia, Drum fishing in Tampa Bay, Sheep head along the Outer Banks of North Carolina and many other great places to fish in the south.

I hope also to post on some of the technical aspects of the sport. Now please don't expect anything profound. Any post on a technical subject will come from one of three sources: what some one else taught me, what I have read some where else, and the old fashioned way what I have learned by experience. So read Grits-N-Flies, enjoy it, take everything I post with a grain of salt, and I will do my best to not be like the fly shop guy.

You can contact me if you have any questions about Grits-N-Flies or myself at this e-mail address: gritsnflies@gmail.com, or through these social sites Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin. Or if you prefer you can also find me on Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger with the screen name gritsnflies.

Here are a couple of my posts that are my most popular posts:Dickerson 8014, and The Clinch River. I hope you enjoy them and please leave a comment.

You may also subscribe to my RSS feed here.

What is an RSS feed?

See ya' in the south.

Matthew

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matthew -- Looking forward to hearing some good fishing stories! Hopefully, learning a little bit as well. Those rods of yours look like works of art - you should be proud.

Take care and be safe, Jay