Saturday, September 1, 2007

Another Iron for the Fire

I have enjoyed the last few months of posting on Grist-N-Flies. I have learned a lot reading and researching for several of the posts I made. It has also caused me to stop and look around when out fishing, and think to myself, "How could I describe this to someone?" or "What did I learn this trip?" Writing has never been one of my strong points, and a secondary goal to this blog has been to improve on it. My hope is that the more writing I do the better I will get, kind of like fishing. I guess that is only something time will tell.

Another thing that time will tell is how much longer I can keep this up. See, Blogger is only one of the many hats that I ware. I also wear the hat of a self employed flooring installer, a husband, a father, a fly fisherman, and the biggest hat of all that I currently wear, a full time college student.

I began wearing the student hat three years ago, and this week began my senior year at Crown College of the Bible here in Knoxville, Tennessee. Hallelujah! It's almost over! Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed all of it, but college isn't a cake walk, and especially not with a family and a full time job.

The problem now is, can I keep all these hats on my head without loosing at least one of them. Every year since I have been here the amount of fishing time I have available dramatically decreases when school starts. Unfortunately, I was not as blessed as Ian Rutter was when he went to the University of Tennessee. I read that he would schedule his classes around the release schedule for the Clinch River. At least that is what it say on his introduction page at Ask About Fly Fish Radio.

Oh yeah, I can't forget the fly rod I have been working on. I would like to finish it before the end of this semester. I want to christen it on my favorite brooky stream back home in Virginia over Christmas break. That may end up being a "I hope to," instead of an "I want to."

My goal is to post at least once a week. More than likely the posts will be published on Saturdays with an occasional midweek post. I am still planning to make a once a month post on a stream or fly fishing destination in the South. If any one has a suggestion for one of those posts, just send me an email, I would be glad to look into it.

Matthew

No comments: